I have a lot of sample pigments and I wanted to press them so that it will be easy to use and easy to carry as well. So I started getting products necessary to do it. It takes a lot of patience to do this entire project 😀 and It took me 2 hrs. I made a lot of mistakes and learnt from it. I found a wonderful method in the net on how to do it. This is how I did 🙂 .
- Surgical spirit
- Empty palette with pans
- Kitchen tissues
- Mixing medium – 3 :1 – Water : Glycerol
- Bobby pin to mix the pigment
- Cover the work top with an old cloth. Spray some alcohol into the pan. Take the pigment sample (mine was in a small box) and keep the bobby pin ready as well.
- Add about 5-6 drops of alcohol and mix them with bobby pin followed by 3-4 drops of mixing medium (the amount depends on how much of a sample you have. It’s all trial and error 🙂 ).
- Mix it with bobby pin till all the pigments are dissolved and it should be little bit thinner not like a paste.
- Pour the liquid into the pan and then drop the pan on the work top gently so that they spread evenly and get rid of bubbles.
- Place them in the empty palette and leave it for about 1 hr or more till they are dried.
- Then press them with a 50 cent coin covered by kitchen towel. (Believe me, it should be completely dried or you will have an accident like me 😦 )
- Once every thing is dried properly, place a kitchen tissue to cover the eye shadow and close the palette and store them properly 🙂 .
P.S. It is quite messy and you need a lot of kitchen tissues. I ruined some pigments by making them more liquid, I just let the pigment settle for some time and then drained the liquid in the sink so I lost a lot of pigments by this way 😦 . But have lot of patience and you will have a wonderful product at the end. For a first time pressing pigments, It’s not a bad end product 🙂 .