Venn Pongal is a south Indian dish which is basically eaten for breakfast. But since I was craving for these, I made them for dinner 🙂 . This is my version since I didn’t have some ingredients at home. This is one of the best comfort food according to me and its easy to make 🙂 .
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 cup moong dhal
- 4 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp Ground black pepper
- pinch of Asafoetida
- salt to taste
- 2 Onion, chopped
- 1 can, diced tomatoes
- 5 Garlic pods, chopped
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- Tarka – mustard seeds, urad dhal, chana dhal
- Wash the rice and dhal throughly and cook them in a pressure cooker by adding about 4 cups of water.
- Once you open the cooker, if you think the rice mixture is dry, then add boiling water to make it more smoother.
- In a small vessel, melt the ghee and once its hot, then add asafoetida and cumin seeds.
- Pour them in the rice mixture and mix them throughly.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- In another vessel, heat some oil and add all the tarka ingredients.
- Once it gets to light brown, add the onions, garlic and ginger.
- Fry them till they are light brown.
- Add tomato and toss them till they are cooked.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve hot 😀 .
Note : You can also add curry leaves to the ghee before adding it to the rice mixture (I didn’t have them when I was cooking this) . You can also add fried cashew nuts and ginger to the rice mixture. Instead of ground pepper, you can crush some whole black pepper and add them to the rice mixture.