Since my mom is here for some time, she is trying lot of stuffs from the cookbooks I have so I decided to post some of the recipes she tried 🙂 . This was taken from Vegetarian Gravies by Mallika Badrinath. She is a popular south Indian lady who has published lot of cook books and she also has a cooking show. Mom did change some method from the original recipe.
Ingredients1 can Chick peas/Chole/Channa 1 onion 1 can, chopped tomatoes 1/2 inch Ginger 7 flakes of Garlic Lemon sized Tamarind 1 tblsp Jaggery 2 tblsp oil 1 tblsp Ghee Salt as required 2 tsp Chilli powder or to your taste 3 Cardamoms 3 Cloves 1 inch Cinnamon 1 tblsp cut Coriander leaves
- Grind onion, garlic, ginger along with cardamom, cloves and cinnamon. Keep them aside.
- Grind the tomatoes separately.
- Heat Ghee in a frying pan, add cumin seeds.
- When it splutters, add the masala paste & oil and fry in medium flame till ghee separates from it.
- Add tomato puree and keep stirring constantly until the moisture is completely absorbed.
- Add salt, chilli powder, tamarind extract, jaggery and chick peas. Cook until the gravy is thick enough to serve.
- Remove from fire, garnish with corainder leaves.
- Serve hot with chappatis or puris.
P.S. I am into photography these days 😉 . I will be talking about it in the future.